I used Lexan, stainless steel hose clamps, aluminum angle iron, stainless steel 1/4 inch machine screws, stainless steel 1/4 acorn nuts, and plastic washers.
I cut the Lexan on a scroll saw and smoothed the edge on first a belt/disc then on a spinal sander. Finally I sanded the edge smooth by hand with a 200 grit sanding block.
Since I have John's forward control kit and HB Smalley's adapters for Cobra bars, I had to make a cut out for the crash bars.
To fit the angle aluminum to the bike I slotted the aluminum in the corner with a dremmel cut off wheel. Also, near the bottom I had to remove some material from one side of the angle aluminum so it cleared the HD reflectors. You should see it in the photos.
They seen to be pretty affective. I had to remove my National Cycle lowers when I installed HB Smalley's adapters because they were hitting the Cobra bars, and I missed having lowers, so here they are, home made lowers...